Physical Therapy Regulations
|The Maryland Board of Physical Therapy Examiners (MDBPTE) was established in 1947 under Title 13, Health Occupations Article and its Rules and Regulations. The mission of the Board is to protect the health, safety, and welfare of all Marylanders through the enforcement of applicable statutes and regulations. The mission is accomplished by establishing appropriate eligibility requirements, setting practice parameters and standards of conduct and the enforcement of these requirements, parameters, and standards.
Open Session Board meetings are held every third Tuesday of the month at 1:00 PM and are open to the public.
Due to the Coronavirus, the Maryland Board of Physical Therapy Examiner's
open session will be available to the public by phone rather than in person.
PIN: 282 104 166#
Duties of the Board include writing regulations, interpreting the scope of practice, educating licensees, and disciplining those who violate the law. The most important function is protecting the citizens of Maryland.
News from the Board
- On Tuesday, November 10, 2020, Maryland Department of Health launched MD COVID Alert, an exposure notification system that uses Bluetooth technology to notify Marylanders of possible exposure to COVID-19. MD COVID Alert is a voluntary and confidential tool to support our contact tracing efforts and help reduce the spread of COVID-19 in Maryland. Everyone is encouraged to join the more than 826,000 Marylanders who have already added their phones to the fight against COVID-19 by enabling MD COVID Alert. Opting in is simple and easy — iPhone users can go to their phone's Settings, enable Exposure Notifications, and select Maryland as their region. Android users can download the MD COVID Alert app through the Play Store.
Read the MD COVID Alert news release here, and visit the website at covidlink.maryland.gov/
- As of July 1, 2020 the Maryland Board of Physical Therapy Examiners is accepting applications for licensure from physical therapist assistant applicants who have been educated outside the U.S. (read § 13-304)
- Reopening of Physical Therapy Practices Fact Sheet (May 27, 2020)
Recommended Resources: APTA Practice Guidance and Considerations for Outpatient Physical Therapy Clinics
- Telehealth Fact Sheet (April 24, 2020)
Recommended Resources: APTAMD Telehealth Resources and Payment Information
- Renewal Notice and Extension
>>>See APTAMD COVID-19 News Archives for Additional Information
The Maryland Board of Physical Therapy Examiners:Karen Gordes, PT, PhD, DScPT, Chair
Rebecca Holsinger, PT, DPT, NCS, CVTP, Vice Chair
Samuel Esterson, PT, DPT, MBA, OCS
Michelle Finnegan, PT, DPT, OCS, MTC, CCTT, CMTPT, FAAOMPT
Sumesh Thomas, PT, DPT, OCS, CHT, FAAOMPT
Enjeen L. Woolford, PTA
James Connors, Public Member
Meredith Levert, Public Member
Board Office: (410) 764-4718