Diversity Equity and Inclusion Committee
The 12-month program will run throughout 2021 with a goal of engaging 100 scholars, including the goal of at least one scholar sponsored by each of APTA’s chapters, sections, and academies. The curriculum will cover association leadership and management topics and be delivered through three face-to-face meetings and regularly scheduled virtual learning experiences.
Foster the long-term sustainability of the physical therapy profession by making APTA Maryland an inclusive organization that reflects the diversity of the society the profession serves.
||Workgroups (Click the links below to learn more about each workgroup)|
- Increase diversity, equity, and inclusion within APTAMD to better serve the Chapter, the profession, and society.
- Increase cultural awareness within the physical therapy workforce
- Increase access to care in underserved areas in Maryland (Social Determinants of Health Information)
HEAL (Meets Wedensdays at 7:30 pm)
1. To raise awareness within our profession and communities on how various social factors contribute to healthcare inequities and identify ways to create environments that promote equitable health outcomes
1. Did You Know Series for web site and social media with data and stats
2. Monthly Town Halls via Facebook Live
3. Online Education Course
4. Develop Local and State Partnerships
- Join Coalitions and Committees
- Volunteer Opportunities (Pro Bono Services, Food Drives, etc.)
Leadership Development (Meets Monthly 2nd Mondays at 7:00 pm)
|Goal 1: Inspire members from diverse backgrounds to become leaders within the profession
Activity: Monthly TED Talks
Activity: Scholars Program
Goal 2:Education Physical Therapy Companies on the Impact of Diverse Leadership within their Organization
Activity: Develop and send out a survey to assess a company's overall view and effort as it relates to having a diverse workforce and leadership.
Goal 3: Develop a social media campaign to promote the workgroups' goals
Mentorship (Meets 1st and 3rd Tuesdays at 7:00 pm)
|Goal 1: Educate students on the physical therapy profession to improve diversity within the workforce. K-High School and Community Colleges
Activity: Virtual Tours of PT Clinics to High School Students
We have a calendar of scheduled tours with MD High School STEM Programs. We will be putting out a call for volunteers for the clinic tours.
Goal 2: Mentor New Grads, Students and Rehab Technicians from Diverse Backgrounds and Develop a Program to Train Mentors
Activity: Mentor Nights for New Grads and Professionals
1st Tuesdays of Each Month | 7-8:00 pm
We will focus on clinical areas such as pediatrics, geriatrics, home care, etc. We will also discuss issues such as emotional resilience, office politics, PT/PTA teams, and challenging situations. We will provide experts for each monthly topic. Workgroups members will rotate on who attends each mentor night.
Social Media and Comm (Meets Monthly 4th Thursday at 6:00 pm)
We will strive to include a diverse group of members inclusive of gender, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, disabilities, religion, ethnicity, and age.
All members of APTAMD are encouraged to join a Chapter committee. If you are intersted in joinging the general committee and or a particular DEI workgroup, please contact us.
Last Updated September 18, 020