Celebrating Black History Month
February 22, 2021
|APTA Maryland celebrate our diversity and the contributions made by Black and multiracial PTs and PTAs who are working to make history right now. We hope you will join us through our DEI initiatives on mentorship, leadership development, and social justice.
We will strive to include a diverse group of members inclusive of gender, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, disabilities, religion, ethnicity, and age.
Vision, Courage, Compassion: Black Physical Therapists Who Transformed the Profession
For this Black History Month, APTA dug into their archive to take a look back at some truly ground-breaking African American physical therapists who achieved greatness despite obstacles, transforming the profession along the way. Now deceased, they offer us all examples to strive for as individuals and as a profession, urging us to keep "moving forward" and challenge the status quo.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee Workgroups
Communication and Social Media
- Developing social media to educate the public about the role of physical therapy in health and wellness
- Improving the visibility of the DEI task force on social media
- Developing a platform that can reach new members in the field of PT and increase their involvement, membership, and participation in our professional organization
- Working with local and state programs to address the opioid crisis in Maryland
- Roundtable with other Health Occupations on the Role of physical therapy in pain mngt.
Topic: Update on conservative/nonpharma. Putting Our Heads Together: an Updated View on Mitigating the Opioid Crisis
- DEA Drug Take Back Day in April
- ProBono Services
- Community College Connections: to present at upcoming career fairs about the profession
- Mentoring New Grads: 1st Tuesday of the Month at 8:00 pm
March Topic - Specialty Certifications
- Virtual Happy Hours to Engage Colleagues
- Virtual Clinic Tours with Local Highschools
- Survey to assess diversity in PT/PTA Leadership. We are asking members to share this survey with their Company HR Representatives. Thank you for your assistance.
- TED Talks on the Importance of Diversity in Leadership. Interviews include Health System Directors and PTs and PTAs in Leadership Roles sharing their path and insights.
All members of APTAMD are encouraged to join our DEI initiatives. If you are interested, please contact us.